Thursday, May 23, 2013

Las Cigüeñas


An interesting stat about our town is that there is a higher percentage of kids here than anywhere else in Spain apparently.  However, it doesn't seem to even comes close to Saratoga Springs. 

I asked the ladies that were telling me this, if it was because of all the storks (Cigüeñas) around and they said of course!  


These storks have built nests on nearly everything high here.

If it is tall there is likely a nest on it

These are the lights at the community sports center.

This is the cultural center across from the kids' school.

This is likely a radio tower.

In Spain, a town is not a town if it doesn't have an old cathedral and a crane.  The bigger cities are lucky enough to have several of these as part of their landscape. 

Just a close up of these storks and their nests.


I can't remember where this was, but it wasn't in our town. Obviously they don't just live here.

They also live on top of old castle ruins.

On top of this super tall tower just outside the city walls of Avila.

In trees on the side of the road on one of our road trips...
...and their nests are super grande!!




3 comments:

  1. Whoa! I can't say that I've ever actually seen a stork in real life. Quite the plethora you've got there. When will one of them become a family pet?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I won't complain about a finch nest in my awning. Stork nests are much bigger! Hope you don't mind if I read your blog. We miss you guys in the ward but what an awesome adventure you guys are having! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara you are sweet, I am thrilled you would want to read my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete